Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Round 14: Better By Sunday


Collingwood v Essendon
Captain:
Collingwood are finally in form, as good a recent record against the Cats as anyone and a chance of finishing fourth; an intriguing prospect come September? I don’t think so. This team had more mirages than the Simpson Desert. As for Essendon, I’m sick of thinking about them at all, so I’ll just hate them like I used to.

Mrs Watson: Ok, a maths question: a team can only beat the teams that are put in front of it (see 2007 Grand Final). Collingwood have only beaten shit teams. Essendon is a shit team. Will Collingwood win? Yes.

Melbourne v West Coast
Captain:
For a schoolkid playing his second game, Jack Watts is copping an absurd amount of criticism. I know we live in an immediate gratification society and all, but geez, is patience in that short a supply? Now, in complete contradiction, how good was Natunui? He had done nothing all night and then bobbed up with three last quarter goals to bury the reigning premiers! He’s the anti-Roughead!

Mrs Watson: Gold! Yeah, this Natunui character is going to be pretty good – especially when he improves his bouncing skills. One awesome goal and two pretty shabby looking passages that somehow led to full scores. Good on him though, I fully support anyone who’s made a fool out of Hawthorn this year. I’m going to go for West Coast here, and won’t be tipping Melbourne anytime soon.

Port Adelaide v Brisbane
Captain:
Port Adelaide remind me of the United States about 12 months ago; dip-shit leader with an over-inflated sense of self, an economy about to shit itself and hated by the rest of the world.

Mrs Watson: Makes me wonder who Port’s next coach will be. Terry Wallace? Loves a speech, could convince almost anyone of anything, and certainly has the darkest skin of any AFL coach. Brisbane.

Richmond v Adelaide
Captain:
Seeing as though you’ve already squeezed in a shot at Terry, and that you refuse to comment on Adelaide games anymore, I’ll just tip the Crows for the both of us, shall I?

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn
Captain:
Do you realise that without my blind, masochistic tipping of Hawthorn all year I would have correctly tipped every single game for the entire season?*

*May not actually be correct

Mrs Watson: This’ll be a pretty good game. With all the bullshit surrounding Sunday’s game, I didn’t even realise this was happening. Now, let me see... I tipped WC against Hawthorn last week, so what reason do I have to think they’ll beat WB? Well, for a start, Hawthorn’s awesome backmen are starting to retu.............. Bulldogs.

Sydney v North Melbourne
Captain:
What’s wrong with Barry Hall? Seriously, if you can’t make it through two hours of the afternoon without punching someone in the face then maybe you have bigger problems than the three year “form slump” you’re in. I wish this prick would start boxing so a few people can smack him back. Who knows who wins this fucking game.

Mrs Watson: Sydney to win this one very easily without Hall, Captain. They have a tendency to do so... which makes Barry’s impending retirement almost as boring as Michael O'Loughlin’s.

Fremantle v Carlton
Captain:
Boooooooooooor-riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

Mrs Watson: Captain, can you remind me to trade Pavlich before Friday? Carlton.

St Kilda v Geelong
Captain:
I reckon the Saints are travelling a bit better than the Cats, Mrs W, but I can see this happening one of two ways; a) it’s the battle royale everyone has been waiting and hoping for - an epic arm wrestle that is tight until the last 5 minutes, when someone will kick consecutive goals and break the record for pump fists, or, b) The Cats win by 40. Thoughts? Key match-ups? Problems?

Mrs Watson: I agree the Saints are playing waaaay better than the Cats right now, but I think the Cats don't mind if that is the perception. The question I keep asking myself is... will the Cats flex some muscle here? Ideally, I'd obviously love a wake up call to the Saints, but I truly don't believe that will happen. I do think that whoever wins this will go into the Grand Final with a lot of confidence. But confidence, as we know, doesn't kick goals on Grand Final day, and I'm sort of hoping that if we're lucky enough to get there, we might already have a cross against us. Saints.

Captain: That’s a real coin flip, isn’t it? Confidence or the wake-up call? Did we learn from last year? Did Thompson? Are we different? Are we facing a different team? Will we be closer to knowing by Sunday evening? I don’t think so, but I am looking forward to the pressure cooker atmosphere, and to seeing who responds and who doesn’t. We all want the questions of ’08 put to bed and the promise of ’09 to be real. The best we’ll get, however, is another Geelong victory.





Captain: Coll, WC, Bris, Adel, WB, Syd, Carl, Geel.

Season Tally: 78-26



Mrs Watson: Coll, WC, Bris, Adel, WB, Syd, Carl, StK

Season Tally: 69-35

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great blog dudes. Some great material there.

-Tee from Toronto

5:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yooo hoo!

Its time again!

Gra gra b needs his winky!

I loves me winky.

Regards,

Gra Gra B

9:29 am  
Blogger Chris Jackson said...

As I sit hear at work on a Saturday morning, waiting for another fkn shitty 'Take That' concert, I find solace in seeing that the Bulldogs vs Hawks score is 88-4!

I'm sure the Hawks will swing it around next week when Langford, Tuck, Peter Hudson and the bloke with the big Choco name are back, but for now - in the words of a friend in Canberra, "suck my fucking cock, Hawks!!"

8:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home