Monday, September 15, 2008

They Are Who We Think They Are, or, Fisticuffs

It’s a very good time to be a Cats fan, but when you look at where we’ve come from, it’s amazing how quickly expectations have changed.

Geelong has gone from an underachieving, frustrating, head-case of a team (let’s be honest, here) to an all-conquering, clinical, ‘ice-water in the veins’ killer. And, as fans, you’d think that would take some getting used to, but its amazing how little adjustment has been required. There’s been next to nothing.

It’s like that 7 you’re dating who sends you 25 text messages a day and then cries after sex, all of sudden transforming into a swimsuit model, who brings home beer for no reason and then says things like, ‘do you mind if one of my model friends joins us in bed tonight?’ And you’re on the couch going, ‘Huh… It must Tuesday.’

We expect victory every time out, these days. And most of the time we expect a big victory. In fact, we expect such big victories that Mrs Watson and I use the word “fisting” on a near daily basis and neither of our girlfriends so much as blink.

But at this time of year I always get that feeling in the pit of my stomach, where your heart is going a million miles an hour and you start sweating and you can’t breath properly and you don’t know if you’re gonna scream or shit or pass out or head-butt the next person you see ‘cos Nick fucking Davis just kicked 3 goals in about 18 seconds and…

aorhgvraobvre…

fwubhgfvcwrbfgrw;l;nmj…


Sorry, that was my head mashing the keyboard; I blacked out there for a second. Where was I?

Another preliminary final for The Cats and another would be contender stirring the pot. And you know what? I don’t blame them. The Cats are the favourites and all the pressure is on them, and if I was the Bulldogs I would be playing as many mind games as possible. I’d try them all. Because they’re going to need every little inch they can. And still it won’t be enough.

The Bulldogs were not nearly as impressive as everyone seems to think they were. Sydney is a beaten-up shadow of their former selves. Adam Goodes was so limited by injury, for a second there, I thought Dean Rioli was resting in the Swans forward line, Ryan O’Keefe had borrowed Brad Ottens’ groin circa 1996 and Tadhg Kenelly’s shoulder popped out high-fiving Craig Bolton. I mean, Robert Murphy’s opponent was Paul Bevan for Christ’s sake. And Crouch, Bolton, Buchanan and Moore sound like they should be doing your tax return, not fighting for centre clearances. Let’s see how the Bulldogs fare against four or five All-Australian’s at that first centre bounce.

The reason the change to supporting a dominating Cats team has required so little adjustment is because they are the real deal. This isn’t a team on a streaky run. This isn’t a team that’s happy with itself for having an improving list. This is isn’t a team that has overachieved. This is the reigning premier. This is the heavy-weight champ. When challenged, they respond, time and time again.

I don’t know about you, but my heart rate is slowing, my gut is settling down and the in-built response to cold-cock anyone called Nick has temporarily subsided. The Cats are the best team in the league, by a fair bit, and I get the feeling they welcome challengers who talk the talk, because, just like a reigning heavy-weight champ, they often let their fists do the talking.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captain, I read the comments from Chris Jackson and Geraldo at Large last week.

I'll admit I occasionally feel the fear in the pit of my ample stomach, as any Cats fan with a memory span of more than 2 seasons does.

Like when Cassisi kicked that winning goal in the round 22, 2007 loss to the "Teal Turds" or in the 1st quarter of round 9 this year when it finally dawned on Gary Lyon that "the pies are up and about here".

I worry and then I let logic take over.

The Cats are bigger, stronger, fitter, faster, more skilful, more committed, better coached, mentally tougher, more cohesive and hungrier than anybody else in the comp and like traction control in a new BMW, they are fuckwit proof, which should take the umpiring out of the equation as well.

So with this in mind: yap all week Doggies, yeah you've got nothing to lose, feel free to roll whatever mental or physical dice you can find and play the game of your lives.

'Cause I've a feeling that if you don't bring a 110% effort to the MCG on Friday, you will become the latest Fistee, Asshat or Arm Holster, standing there watching in the greatest football show on earth.

A great big fucking 44 legged euphoria machine.

Go Cats!!!

...fustercluck...

2:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never get sick of Brad Ottens groin jokes.

I must say I am a bit nervous and will continue to be so up until probably half-way through the first quarter (as we will probably be up by 4 goals). I think most of the nervs come from the fact that I have about 2 grand invested in this game (flights and GF tickets).

I think the All Australian team was just about right.

Anyone remember the last team that put this much effort into 'mind games'?

-Tee from Perth

10:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yer and my hot tip... Hawks to fall over this weekend

-Tee again

10:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ghosts of Chocko perhaps?

2 grand well spent Tee.

Your hot tip is not without merit, but I desperately hope the Hawks can deliver and be there on the last Saturday of September.

The best 2 teams should play each other, that's the way it should be.

...fustercluck...

12:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


----Newsflash-----

Cats Captain takes time out to read the latest Big League Little League blog



The last couple of days a bunch of people around the office (who all know of my investment in Grand Final attendance) have been asking me if I am starting to get nervous.

In response, this morning I thought it would be fitting to send around the latest Big League Little League blog as it pretty much sums up the feeling of a Cats supporter regardless of their proximity to Kadinya park.

I copied and pasted the latest blog to a couple of people around the office, including the only other Cat fan in the office. As mentioned previously, this bloke's brother used to play for West Coast and Geelong (no its not Brett Spinks or David Haynes).

He forwarded my email on to his brother who in turn forwarded it onto the Cats captain (who he is still very close with).

Tommy Harley found it highly entertaining and humourous.

------------------

For all of the regular BLLL readers, I hope that this post hasn't looked like one big name-drop. I realise how pathetic it would look to say 'I know someone who used to play football who knows Tom Harley'.

I thought it might be some encouragement to the Captain (the one who writes the blog not the guy who plays footy) which might spur him to write it more often(I would have emailed this information to him if I had his email).

-Tee from Perth

4:53 pm  
Blogger the captain said...

I knew I should have gone with the "Tom-Harley-Greatest-Cats-Captain-Ever" blog.

8:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or just change the opening line to 2 guys from G town and Tom....

1:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So if Chappy is back in, who is playing Mark Blake in this years selection room drama?

Given that Wojak, Kelly and Varcoe have virtually been given the green light for Saturday, I think that Stokesy might be a bit shaky. He has had a quiet month and by his own admission is still injured from last years GF.

Any thoughts BLLLers?

And it's great to see that the Hawks supporters still believe that Hawthorn are the annointed ones. Quick, somebody call the engraver. Silly fucks!

Anybody else get the impression from Crawf's after game interview that he will be playing his last game on Saturday?

...fustercluck...
in the Yarra Ranges

P.S.
Bartel by 6 tomorrow night.

7:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bartel for the Brownlow, Crawfs to play on and would rather not speculate on who will be left out of the side

-Tee from Perth

3:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rooke more likely to go than Stokes.

3:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't see Rooke going out against such a tough team in the Hawks

-Tee from Perth

1:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Tim, errr Tee.
Rooke is a definite starter for the team, as is Chappy - on the proviso he is 100%. There's no point going into a war of attrition with the potential of having to finish the game with a depleted bench.
If Chappy is selected, I think Tom Lonergan might be the unlucky one. My mail is that Ottens will be rested in the forward line, replacing Tom as a tall forward option to exploit the shorter Squawks' defence.

- Basso Divor (From Basso in Perth)

12:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home