Saturday, September 11, 2010

If there's ever any doubt, there is no doubt

Last week Geelong went down to the Saints on a half free kick, they haven’t lost two games in a row since Henry Playfair was prominently involved and Freo haven’t played at the MCG ALL FRICKIN’ YEAR! I mean, really, did anyone, besides attention seeking assholes making the ‘anti’ pick, actually convince themselves of a Fremantle win?

The Semi-Final was merely a matter of getting through without injury and/or report (check, but close) and finding some form and confidence (double check). No, the test was always going to be the up-coming Prelim where Collingwood presents a very different, and to state the obvious, much more difficult challenge.

Here are some random thoughts on the Fremantle game, the up-coming Collingwood game and various other things.

• The Geelong forward line, nay, team looks 20% better with Podsy in it. When he started limping off in the 2nd quarter my heart needed to be manually restarted. Luckily someone at the bar had the correct iphone app.

• Interesting decision by Freo to play Aaron Sandilands. He was invisible up forward and around the ground he was moving slower than a Filipino SWAT team.

• I was pretty surprised about the dropping of Mackie but Muscles hasn’t been great for a while now. He’s like ‘Entourage’, trading on good form from two seasons ago.

• His replacement however, ‘Beans’ Lonergan, doesn’t exactly fill one with confidence. I mean, eventually even deer move out of the headlights, right?

• Just when Mark Harvey had most people fooled, he picks Des ‘Mirage’ Headland for the biggest game of their season, when he hadn’t played seniors since round four and a decent game since 2001. This was such a ridiculous, panic move that I can’t even think of a flimsy analogous gag.

• Did you see the shots of Max Rooke sitting in the stands? I think I would pay $2000 to spend a night drinking with him. I’m not even joking.

• I know Shaun McManus retired a couple of years ago but I didn’t realise that the Dockers had given his hair a new 3-year deal.

• Coming soon to Youtube: “The flying Wojcinski: part 3”

• Does anyone else get the feeling that Travis Varcoe is beginning to realise that, “hey, I might actually be good at this!”?

• Paul ‘Snapman’ might get the “Mr September” tag, but has ‘Tickets’ ever disappointed in a big game?

• Games like the Freo one always remind me just how deep Geelong run in the midfield. Ablett, Bartel, Selwood and Kelly were all outstanding, while Corey, Wojo and Varcoe were all extremely important. Not to mention Chappy and Steve Johnson, who went into the centre in the 4th quarter and actually looked good with some smart clearance work. (Oh, and how good was his no-look handpass? I don’t like showing opponents up after the game is all but over, but I did get a kick outta that.)

• The good thing about the Matthew Knights firing was that at least it didn’t come two seasons too late and after they’d given him a completely undeserved extension at over $800 000 a season… Oh, wait…

• The good thing about Brad Johnson’s retirement was that at least it didn’t come a season too late and after it derailed the Bulldogs season and forced his manager to make a ridiculous excuse like getting hit with a slow-moving golf-cart was the real problem… Oh, wait…

• Hey, did you guys know that apparently Brett Kirk was the “heart & soul” of the Sydney Swans? I had no idea!

• Joel Corey at halfback seems to be working out well (but who’s his match-up against Collingwood?) which means it’s harder to squeeze Mackie back in. If I were a Geelong nightclub bouncer I’d be on high alert.

• Lips has started early this week, calling Collingwood jealous of Geelong’s recent success. I believe Mick Malthouse responded with “are not!”

• I would like to unreservedly apologise for that last joke. Even ‘Lehmo’ would have left that one on the cutting room floor.

• Actually, ‘Lehmo’ would have run with it and followed it up with “then he ran home and told his mum” as the applause light flashes furiously in an attempt to drown out the sound of a lifeless mule getting flogged, Dave Hughes groaning and Mick Molloy pining for Tony Martin to save his career again.

• Good thinking by Mick Malthouse to launch his website this week, he’ll have plenty of time to update it after Friday. (Seriously, what is the point of it? The only thing I hope happens is that he uses it to continually undermine Nathan Buckley next season, which I wouldn’t past him.)

• Is anyone really worried about Chris Dawes? He sounds like an electrician. And is being described as “Koschitzke-like” supposed to be a compliment or insult? Have we decided this yet?

• And finally, Godspeed Big League readers, something tells me this one is going to 2007-esque. Better update that apple De-fib app.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I am saying this but I think this week Blake needs to come in for Hawkins, unless there is someone else in the team who is under-performing that I have somehow overlooked based on previous performances and reputation.

Speaking of Muscles, I knew they were going to drop someone but when it was rumoured to be Mackie Truckie I thought hang one you can't drop the seagull. Then I thought about it for another 7 seconds and realised it was a very clever move.

Varcoe > Rioli

Loved the iphone app reference.

I groaned when I heard Lonergan was coming in but he looked pretty decent I think and I think he should do ok against a Dawes type. If he had been around last week to take Kosi, Scarlett might have been able to provide some much needed run.

Is Chris Connolly still on the Freo payroll? How else did that idiotic Des Hedland maneuver come about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz1lbVmOXjM

-Tee from Vancouver

1:38 pm  
Anonymous attila said...

Kirk is a Buddhist too - how come that never gets mentioned by the press?

You are mad Tee - Hawkins was more than serviceable on Friday - taking marks around the ground and even kicking a goal. He ripped the ball loose from the pack on the wing in front of and it was a thing of beauty.

Blake doesn't offer that, and with our mids we don't need the ball tapped down their throat - Selwood will just go and grab it from whomever did get it first.

What I would like to see is the players shut up about selection. Memo to Scarlett etc - this aint a democracy. The best coaches are those who you can close your eyes and imagine them with a chest full of medals overseeing a South American junta - try it with Lethal or Barrassi and tell me I am wrong...

I am equally excited and terrified about Friday night - can't wait.

Oh, and "Kosi-like" = insult - how is that even a question Captain?

Cheers

9:30 am  
Anonymous Darren Lyons said...

I don't care how many times the Jolly jibe gets mentioned, under no circumstances should Blake be played ahead of Hawkins. Blake would've been awesome in 1982 when players could afford to be one (or even half) dimensional, but I'm afraid he's missed the boat by nigh-on three decades.

Even though Hawkins hasn't exactly impressed I'd still rather see him pounce on a loose ball than Blake. And I reckon Hawkins would split the spoils with Brown in terms of tap work.

Dawes is a flat-track hero. I'm tipping a repeat of his round nine performance where he didn't kick a goal.

I'm not convinced of the hair-pies and I'd love to see Harry O'Brien's head taken off (legally) en route to the demolition!

Also, I'd kill for a session with Rooke. I'd pay for all his booze plus a James Street hot dog for the privilege.

10:27 am  
Anonymous Darren Lyons said...

I don't care how many times the Jolly jibe gets mentioned, under no circumstances should Blake be played ahead of Hawkins. Blake would've been awesome in 1982 when players could afford to be one (or even half) dimensional, but I'm afraid he's missed the boat by nigh-on three decades.

Even though Hawkins hasn't exactly impressed I'd still rather see him pounce on a loose ball than Blake. And I reckon Hawkins would split the spoils with Brown in terms of tap work.

Dawes is a flat-track hero. I'm tipping a repeat of his round nine performance where he didn't kick a goal.

I'm not convinced of the hair-pies and I'd love to see Harry O'Brien's head taken off (legally) en route to the demolition!

Also, I'd kill for a session with Rooke. I'd pay for all his booze plus a James Street hot dog for the privilege.

10:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely right. The players need to shut up and let the match committee make the decisions.

I am not in the least bit scared of the Collingwood talls.

-Tee from Vancouver

4:29 pm  
Anonymous attila said...

My love for Max Rooke and the reason for Johnson's poor form contained in a single youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FAx5j30zVk

When you get bumped by Max Rooke, you stay injured for two years...

11:25 pm  
Anonymous Chris Jackson in London said...

Possibly the last time we see Gaz in the hoops on Friday night. Watch him go from adored superstar to dirty, traitorous dog!

6:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly was robbed!

9:16 am  
Anonymous Andy7 said...

I'm nervous about the game this week. Collingwood are playing very well. Can they Cats hold on? I hope so.

4:30 am  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

C'mon Lips, it's fucking simple.

In: Mackie
Out: Byrnes

Don't stuff it up.

We have gifted little "Monty" 2 Premiership Medals, he has improved a little, but his slow decision making and one sided foot skills have cooked us a few times this season.

I am excited/nervous about tomorrow nights game, if the Cats bring their A game then they will win, if not, they probably don't deserve to win, do they?.

Captain, I like the Lehmo reference, he is a shitfull non entertainer, the comedic equivalent of StKilda. Gotta go, Chris Dawes is coming over to fix a dodgy powerpoint.

Oh, I still maintain the decision last year, to offer Mark Blake a new contract while leaving Shane Mumford unsigned was a big mistake that is going to bite us on the ass in the future.

Go Cats!

...fustercluck...

1:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fuster - LOL @ Lehmo and Dawes jokes

-Tee from Vancouver

3:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh Mummmeee!

Im so nervous about tonight that i just want to lay in bed with a giant schlong and caress it for the next few hours at least!
I loves me doodle! tee hee, you all know that anyway.

I would happily take Hawkins or Blake to bed with me again. I like my men big, stupid, slow to react and with a face that looks like they're trying to answer a question that's not been asked.

Blake is Hawkins, Hawkins is Blake.. Hawkins is an idiot!

GOODLUCK ALL YOU SEXY CATS BOYS, I'LL BE ROOTING YO..I MEAN, I'LL BE ROOTING FOR YOU...right... now wheres that doodle.

GRA GRA B

8:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

go cats

2:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always knew you were a wanker Gra Gra

9:31 am  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

Oh well, next Saturday we either get to see Reiwoldt cry or Collingwood choke, so it's not all bad. I will be barracking for the Pies, they play the style of game that I would pay money to see, StKilda don't and a StKilda premiership would be a step backwards for football. It would be a shame to see football deprogress after where it has been taken in the last 4 years.

Basso, take a sickie (or a lead pipe) on Monday mate.

Geelong could do with less players that second guess and take forever to make up their minds when the heat is on. Which puts a red line through Byrnes, Blake and Lonergan for starters.

...fustercluck...

1:56 am  
Anonymous attila said...

Right, so that's the flip side of an ass hat feels like....

My plan now is to publicly denounce the "continued tinkering with the rules by the AFL which is ruining our great game" whilst secretly praying they bring in an interchange cap which completely ruins the Collingwood gameplan next year.

3:17 pm  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

If Chris Judd was in the top 10 AFL players in 2010 I am the fucking Stig. How can a bloke who turns over 1/2 of his kicks get 30 votes in 19 games and win the Brownlow?

The umpires choice awards strike again.

Eddie McGuire looked impressed (not) which I found quite amusing.

Fuck I hate cricket season.

...fustercluck...

12:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the match 'review' panel actually 'reviewed' the incident with Pavlich, Gaz would be king again.

I'm completely happy that Swan didn't win.

Go Saints.

-Tee from Vancouver

1:06 pm  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

Hey Captain, now that smug as shit Chris Judd has won a "bogus" Brownlow, does that make him an honorary Western Bulldog?

While I am in the mood for asking questions, has Mark Blake sent a nasty text to Ben McEvoy yet?

Is it true that Gra Gra B bought Wojos nipple tape of eBay? What would he use it for?

On a more serious note, can Travis Varcoe be an elite midfielder?

Can Taylor "smellier" Hunt become Corey Enright 2.0?

We are rooted when Scarlo retires aren't we?

...fustercluck...

1:01 am  
Anonymous attila said...

Apparently Geelong City Council is convening an urgent meeting to rezone Armstrong Creek as a national park, preventing any residential or commercial development....

12:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home