Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Room With a View

Summer changes the way we live. The days are longer, the nights are warmer and other various Meatloaf-type lyrics. And, usually, the change from football to cricket is made. However, with a boring, star-less Australian cricket team (infuriatingly selected, but we’ll save that for later in the summer), lacklustre opponents and a bloated, largely meaningless schedule of matches, AFL activity in the off-season is increasingly being monitored as closely as in June or July. Just what you’re looking for, however, depends on where you’re looking from.

In the week’s leading up to Geelong’s 2007 finals campaign I was telling myself that I’d happily trade away any future success for just one flag: Just seal the deal this year, Cats, and you can mail in the next decade. Win this and you get the Tim Rogers free pass; you can write as many average songs about getting old and drinking with your buddies as you want and I’ll still defend you because you once gave me Hi-Fi Way and Hourly Daily.

And so with that in mind I made my own deal with the Devil, or God, or Tim Rogers for that matter, and then watched as the Cats delivered their Berlin Chair moment; a classic asshat, if ever there was one. I could, as they say, finally die happy.

2008 rolled around and I was staying aloof about The Cats back-to-back tilt. I convinced myself that this was due to me upholding my end of the bargain, but really, it was because any sort of conviction was unnecessary; I could keep my cool because no-one could get near them. And they looked a certainty to do the business again in September.

But, without sounding too trite about it, there are no certainties in anything. And getting so close and blowing it only fuelled the fire. The Cats needed another one. I needed another one. So in 2009, I made the same deal. And here we are.

The off-season is ultimately, a time of optimism. All teams are equal again and, at least until a ball is bounced, nothing can be made but progress. From here until March the now dwarfed sports section will contain innumerable stories of Player X training the house down, Player Y looking ahead to a fresh start and Player Z who has added 5-10kg of muscle. These are stories of hope.

But with the Cats’ legacy now rightfully secured as one of the greatest teams of all-time (that’s not hyperbole, that’s historically accurate) one is afforded a sense of perspective, a certain magnanimity, a view from the summit, if you will.

Instead of worrying about how to fix the malfunctioning forward line we can instead look to the future of Hatchet Hawkins with confidence. Instead of fretting about the unfortunate waste of Matthew Egan’s career the focus shifts to appreciating Handsome Harry Taylor, the best CHB in the league (seriously, name me one better). Rather than express concern for our slow and ageing backline we can farewell our Skipper in style and look forward to see who steps up to fill his spot. And instead of praying that my team trades for Barry Hall, or finds a washed up ruckman to recycle, or picks up Luke Ball and his Styrofoam groins, or wonder who the skinny kid from South Australian school footy is that we just drafted, I can relax, confident in the knowledge that it will work itself out; that it has already worked itself out.

I am now at peace with my deal with the Devil/Tim Rogers. And as such, so it is that I can look to the future, not with rabid desperation, or blind hope, but with a satisfied mind and a mild curiosity at best.

The view’s a bit different from the top, isn’t it?

Off-Season Summary

Out:
Tom Harley (retired)
Tom will probably go down as Geelong’s greatest ever captain, despite his influence always seemingly being more intangible than purely his on-field work. As an outsider it’s difficult to judge these effects but the results are largely impressive: The Cats went from a lazy, underachieving collection of individuals to the ultimate selfless team. His play had dropped off the past couple of years (injury also took its toll) but at his best no-one played the ‘third-man-up’ role any better, in fact, he probably deserves some credit for inventing it.

David Johnson (retired)
I always liked David Johnson. Sure, he’d do the occasional bone-headed thing like unnecessarily fly into a pack and spoil his team-mates leaving his opponent to wander in to an open goal, but he was a scrapper. Plus, he used to come in to the team once a year and beat Jason Akermanis.

Shane Mumford (traded, in exchange for pick 28)
Let’s be honest about Shane Mumford for a minute: Dean frickin’ Cox he aint. And while his effort in the contest was admirable, the rest of his work was probably below par. It’s never a good sign when the best thing you can say about a player is “He’s really trying!” Getting a 2nd round draft pick for him was a great result. Sydney paid way over the odds, I mean, anytime you can get and an 18-game player only one year removed from weighing more than Kirstey Alley for a million dollars, well, you gotta do it.

Kane Tenace (de-listed)
Ah, Tenace; so much promise, so many nicknames and yet so precious few good games of senior football. The coaches obviously saw something in him as he was given chance after chance. A possible rookie candidate for another club.

Matthew Egan (de-listed; long-term injury)
Without going too far down this sorry path again, it’s good to hear that after 18 surgeries Matthew can use the clutch again.

Scott Simpson (de-listed)
Injury-plagued key position prospect who ran out of time. Has nominated for pre-season/rookie drafts.

Dan McKenna (de-listed)
See above.

Adam Donohue (de-listed)
Father/Son recruit who didn’t work out. See also: Woolnough, Mark.

Bryn Weadon (rookie list, not elevated)
I think he’s still straining with Geelong in the hope of being re-drafted.

Brodie Moles (rookie list, not elevated)
See above.

In:
Marcus Drum (Traded for in exchange for pick 49)
A fairly cheap gamble for a good-sized utility still under the age of 23 with some AFL experience. The scouting report on him early was that he has excellent skills and a good footy brain but not necessarily the size/strength/speed combo to be an elite player, which pretty much sounds like the rest of our backline. Mrs Watson mentioned to me that he reckons the Geelong backline system makes it easier for guys like this to succeed.

Daniel Menzel (Pick No. 17: Central Districts, 18, 185cm, 77kg)
After watching a few videos I’m convinced this is Andrew Mackie (all the footage I saw was of him playing in defence). He was often drifting back by himself (having read the play and run hard off his man) to take a mark or help turn a contest. Made good decisions and seems to have excellent disposal. He often switched play to a more attacking part of the ground, even though this was sometimes a high risk/reward type move, but he trusted his leg and regularly cleared the congestion/trouble to find an open man 55m away. Sound familiar?

Mitchell Duncan (Pick No. 28: East Perth, 18, 187cm, 82kg)
I also watched some video of this bloke and didn’t come away as impressed, to be honest. The term utility is often used to describe him, although he seemed to do his best work around half-forward. He seems to do everything pretty well but nothing that really stands out; decent height but not tall, quick enough but not fast, good skills but not elite, etc. Andrew Embley has been used as a point of comparison but I’d go with something like Steve Johnson without the tricks or Mitch Morton with a heart-beat. He is highly rated, however, and also held his own in seniors this year.

(Now let’s see if I can get this right: Geelong got involved in the Josh Gibson deal, meaning they essentially traded pick 33 for picks 40, 42, and 56. This probably made them feel better about giving up pick 49 for Drum, considering their last pick [65] was always going to be used to promote a rookie.)

Allen Christensen (Pick No. 40: Geelong Falcons, 18, 176cm, 75kg)
Christensen, rated by most prior to the draft as a top 20 pick, is apparently a smart, inside midfielder who is clever around stoppages and up forward. I watched some highlights and he reminds me of Matthew Stokes, you know, back when he was awesome.

Nathan Vardy (Pick No. 42: Gippsland Power, 18, 198cm, 89kg)
Vardy was another tipped to go top 20 and was the top-rated ruckman. He was injured at the draft camp and so was never tested but he seems to have pretty good vertical and knows how to help his crumbers out; taps to advantage in ruck contests seem to be his main asset. He also seems pretty agile and coordinated for a big bastard, so kinda like the anti-Blake. Good value here, you’d reckon.

Josh Cowan (Pick No. 56: North Ballarat, 18, 183cm, 71kg)
Simon Hogan 2.0

Jeremy Laidler (Pick No. 65: Promoted rookie)
A rookie-listed half-back-flank-type (that’s way too many hyphens) promoted to the senior list, and rightfully so. He looks the goods running out of defence, providing carry and support as well as the typical negating work that is required. He appears to me as a Milburn-Mackie-Harley hybrid, and will find his spot soon enough.

(Anyone with any info/opinions on the draftees, please share in the comments)

27 Comments:

Blogger Chris Jackson said...

Ahhh the return....

But what the?!?! No mention of that selfish, arrogant prick that 'leads' the West Indies? Seriously, that guy is single-handedly attempting to destroy test cricket... but I guess he looks cool.

5:00 am  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

Captain, nice to hear from you. Re Josh Cowan, you mention Simon Hogan 2.0 like that's a bad thing?

We will agree to disagree on the Mumford question, sure I could be blinded by a hatred of all things Mark Blake, but I had a crush on Mummy. Now that he's gone to play for Planet Roos, his best looking football is already behind him.

...fustercluck...

4:16 am  
Blogger geraldo at large said...

Thoughts on Ablett?

8:16 am  
Anonymous attila said...

Utility is code for "too short/small for KPP, too slow for midfielder, but not a hack". Personally, I really only warm to utilities when they have a homicidal streak - see Milburn, D.

We seem to have drafted pretty well IMO. Losing Mummy was a shame, but I don't blame the bloke (if I switched companies for more cash, no one would think less of me) and I will go on the record now that if Ablett does the same thing, I will hold the same opinion - he has won me two flags, if he decides to go up north to earn squillions to secure a happy future of boning Lauren in luxury, good luck to him. My only proviso to that is what I call the Merlin/Excalibur bargain - any children of this union belong to me (aka Geelong Footy Club).

2:42 pm  
Blogger Chris Jackson said...

Geelong have drafted fewer stiffs (Tenace & Hooper aside) than pretty much any other club in the last 20 years, so it's hard not to keep the faith.

As for Ablett, I can't say that I share Attila's calm and pragmatic approach. GFC have done a lot for the Ablett's and if Junior runs off for the cash and the climate of the Gold Coast, I'll certainly hold a bit of a grudge.

Sure, it's a business and it's naive to think that there is a lot of room for sentiment, but you'd hope that the fella realises that you can live pretty well off $800k-$1M a year.

Perhaps someone should start the 'Keep Junior at Geelong' fund?!

I think that being the only regional team in the competition, we should get some special salary cap concessions, because let's face it, G-Town aint the most glamorous place to live...... ;-)

3:36 am  
Anonymous attila said...

I should point out that I have taken the hypocritical oath - and therefore reserve the right to chuck the mother of all wobblies if Jnr does chase the cash north. My calm demeanour at the moment is largely a side effect of being premiers (and possibly fetal alcohol syndrome but thats by the by).

I agree re recruiting though - in Wells We Trust.

10:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see The Cats came through with their selection of Podsy in the pre-season draft. I don't know much about him, but stuff I've read indicates he could be a useful pick up.
Anybody know much about him and the other three drafted this morning?

21 - Jack Weston
37 - Ben Johnson
50 - James Podsiadly
61 - Jesse Stringer


Did anybody else pick up the irony in the Mumford and Sons song 'Little lion man' which is all over the radio at the moment?
"It was not your fault but mine ... I really fucked it this time ..."
Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

- Basso Divor

12:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great return.
Only The Captain could mention Tim Rogers in a footy blog and have it make sense.

I loved the blog, it all made so much sense.

Chris Jackson: for all the things that Geelong isn't, there are always players that don't want to live in the city. Brad Ottens was easy to get to Geelong as he wanted to live away from Melbourne. I seem to remember that things didn't work out for Gary Ablett Snr in the City either and for this reason was a perfect fit for Geelong.

-Tee from Vancouver

7:44 am  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

The Cats have not named Tom Harley's successor, Selwo is doing a fucking lot of press and Lingy is doing none....probably just a coincedence.... oh wait a minute, I don't fucking believe in coincidences.

What I do believe in, is that the Saints will crash this year. They just do not strike me as a team that can recover from grand final heartbreak, I think they could be a bit short in the ticker department. I'm already looking forward to seeing how Ross Lyon copes when the whole StKilda phenomenon goes pear shaped.

As always
GO CATS!!!!

...fustercluck...

2:58 am  
Anonymous attila said...

Fuster, also don't forget the Boy Wonder's Churchillian address to the team at half time during the Grand Final.

Speaking of the 2009 Grand Final, have any of you watched a copy of it lately? I did the other day.

*spoiler warning *

We win. Its awesome.

*end spoiler warning*

Although I think Selwood would/will make an excellent captain, I would still like to see Ling get it, unless he has indicated that he prefers VC.

10:17 am  
Anonymous Lethal said...

I have it on good authority (My friend's Mum was talking to G Ablett Sr) that both Garys will be moving north. Sr for the weather and relative anonymity, Jr for the $$$. Not happy Jan.

9:29 pm  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

Lethal, I hope you are misinformed and it is Gary Sidebottom and Gary Ayres going to the Gold Coast.

If not, Jnr may well go to sleep with Lovely Lauren and wake up next to Makaybe Diva's triple Melbourne Cup winning cranium, courtesy of Don Costa (I know it's an oldie, but it's fucking summer OK!).

Attila, I too have revisited the "fun in September" box set, with much joy I might add. My favorite disc is the Preliminary Final asshatting of the Collingwood FC and their pathetic, mulletted "army".

I have been giggling myself to sleep at night, fantasising that Pies fans were left so distraught by another abreviated finals campaign, that Joffa was keying Eddie's Lexus in the MCG carpark at the precise moment that Eddie was breaking into Joffa's flat and stealing his beloved milk-crate/coffee table.

Such are the spoils of victory.

Bring on season 2010 and any likely challengers.

...fustercluck...

2:12 am  
Anonymous attila said...

There may very well be a separate Ling post - but well done Captain Ling!

Pro-tip to any parents out there - if you have a red headed kid who likes playing football, send them to St Joey's. That is now the third ginger ninja captain of the Cats they have produced.

5:31 pm  
Blogger Chris Jackson said...

Good family friend has a link into Gold Coast & the word is that Jnr has committed to heading north. If it pans out, I'm flying back from London to piss on him when we play GC. I'm in GTown now & tempted to lob over to Grovedale & have a word with Snr.

6:03 pm  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

You go CJ, a large Capriciosa to big Gazza's place!

...f...

7:10 pm  
Anonymous Lethal said...

Like Attila, just wanted to pass on my congrats to Lingy; Captain Paddle Pop Lion. Great news.

Hope Gaz makes an announcement soon (not that kind Lauren) so we can all sleep at night and not have to spend time plotting urinary-related revenge on him.

7:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I started to get real money.
It's all about how to select a correct companion who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

7:41 pm  
Anonymous Lethal said...

Bugger off Anon, with your wanky spam.

11:05 am  
Anonymous attila said...

Lets not be too hasty Lethal - maybe by using Anon's investing tips we can get a slush fun going to pay Jnr an under the table payment and stop him buggering off to the Gold Coast.

It can't be a scam, because Anon says that "he has to tell the truth".

What can possible go wrong?

3:58 pm  
Anonymous Lethal said...

Attila, you are on the money, we will have to get Anon to advise how we keep Gazza here now that he and Lozza are no longer an item. I'm worried about him wanting a fresh, single start up north whilst others have told me not to sweat it; he loves G-town and the Torquay lifestyle and if he is smart enough to think long-term he will realise that post-playing, he will be a highly desired package down here rather than in rugby-mad Qld....

3:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

9:04 pm  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

Anon, I like the sound of your "program" but I currently have all of my investment capital tied up in other lucrative vetures inluding:

1) Platinum Richmond memberships (that I plan to resell in July for a tidy profit),

2) Tasmanian Mango farms (cropping soon, I'm told),

3) Hand-signed George W Bush autobiographies (they are in Arabic - collectors items!)

4) Powerball tickets (what do you mean it Jackpotted again?)

Maybe another time, Champ

...fustercluck...
now with 20% more cluck

1:19 am  
Blogger Chris Jackson said...

Why is this now a haven for HYIPs?? Unless your investment program can stop Junior from becoming another Judas, I don't really want to read it, unless of course you can mix in a joke about Wallace, Richmond or Brendan Fevola.....

20% more Fuster? Wow talk about getting some bang for your cluck!

11:16 pm  
Anonymous Lethal said...

I'm sure the Anons are under the misguided impression that HYIP stands for High Yield Investment Programs. On this blog it stands for...

Hate Your Internet Piss-talk

Heave Your Insipid Propaganda

..... to be continued ....

12:31 pm  
Anonymous Lethal said...

Stokesy you bloody idiot.

2:13 pm  
Anonymous attila said...

Very very unfortunate.

Still, with him, Troy Taylor and Andrew Lovett, the Pentridge first 18's will have a very handy midfield!

2:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol Fustercluck

lol attila

-Tee from Vancouver

2:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home