Sunday, September 20, 2009

An Open Letter to Le Captain, or, coiffé d'un chapeau ass Collingwood.



Dear Captain,

How goes Paris? Thanks for emailing through your Blogger password. My own blogger account seems to have imploded, so I'm using yours here to post this update. I ran into a few Big League readers before the game on Saturday, who mentioned there'd been a few colourful jabs at Mrs Watson for being a less than active poster. It's strange when I think we started this monster via email to keep ourselves amused at work, and now feel some responsibility to keep it up to speed. Anyhoo...I thought I'd send you a rundown on what happened Saturday night, as I know you weren't successful in locating a suitable French dive bar to view it in. Do understand that by half time I had consumed quite a number of Melbourne Bitters, and was kept quite busy keeping you updated via text as best I could, so if I miss something substantial, I'm sure our readers will be more than happy to fill in the gaps (see comments), but here's a few thoughts the iphone couldn't convey...

Last night Geelong wore Collingwood as a fucking ass hat. Now, while this sort of head attire probably doesn't sound as classic, or tasteful, as say, the beret – of which I'm sure you've seen a many of late – let me assure you, Captain, the ass hat is something that, despite it's grubbily graphic aesthetic, can fill it wearer with tremendous self belief and confidence. Now, the ass hat is not something one just stumbles upon, or shoplifts from IGA; the ass hat is something one earns, usually through making a damn fool one's opposition. So much so, in fact, that one is literally able to separate the legs of said opposition, and insert the top of one's head far enough inside the anus to fashion a hat. Sure, I've probably taken this analogy a little far, but honestly, nothing paints a more accurate picture of what happened during the second half of Saturday night's Preliminary final.

The first quarter was a little disappointing to be honest, and seemed all too familiar. After the first few minutes we had a shit ton of ball, but couldn't really tick it over on the score board and only led by 10 at quarter time. The bright light for me though, was the fact that in these early stages Hatchet was playing like a man possessed by a really good footballer. He was setting up goals, kicking straight from tough angles, and kept the Cats in the game, along with Chappy, while our other guys got their shit together. In fact, not since I last played NBA Jam have I seen such an unlikely man pull off such superhuman feats.

Things got tight in the second and in hindsight it appears as if this was Collingwood's last gasp at making a game of it. As a result, to no surprise, this was our backline's quarter, particularly in the last ten minutes when the Pies threw whatever they had left at us. After a shaky start, Taylor tightened up, and the usuals were good, but I'd like to give a shout out to James Kelly. The return of Kelly from injury has tightened up that end amazingly. His hard work back there helped the Cats keep what little lead they had at half time. It was a brief interlude, sure, but this was when the game was on the line, and that mattered more than many of the goals scored during the last half's free for all.

Admittedly, Collingwood had spent a lot of energy the week before scraping home against the Crows, so by the last half they were looking pretty much done. Having said that though, many of their more important players, scorers, had not put their hand up at any stage of the game. Cloke, Anthony, and Davis shared 30 possessions, which isn't impressive, but even these low numbers surprised me when I saw them...I only remember seeing these three dropping ambitious marks or getting knocked out of contests. Anthony can kick, sure, but seems as soft as Cloke is clunky, and Davis jogs around like he deserves more than he works for. I'd slam a huge question mark on Cloke's future – he's had a shithouse year, in my view – and Malthouse should treat Anthony less like Tony Lockett, and more like a work in progress.

I don't really know what to tell you about what happened after half time. It was dominance, sure, but it was the dominance we needed to show St Kilda. The whole team was dominant. The Saints beat Collingwood in the first round of the finals in probably one of the most lackluster performances of the entire series, and just got over the line against the Bulldogs – they probably should have lost. The fact that the TAB now has Geelong as favourite to win next week, in my opinion, is justified. A regular season record, no matter how outstanding, does not warrant confidence in a team's ability to win a grand final; especially after such an uninspiring few weeks. Put simply, I think the Saints look shaky. I think we'll win.

Spread 'em wide St Kilda. I hear it's gonna be a hot summer, and we'll no doubt need a hat.

Over and out.

Mrs Watson.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely work Mrs. Watto.

I also missed the second half according to my memory. I watched the game but have no idea what happened. Thankyou Carlton Draught.

and i concurr though.

The cats will win in 09!

Odeyone

9:59 pm  
Blogger ADS said...

Well said Watson, bring it on Saints! Let's smash these ****s and prove once and for all that Chappy was right. CARN THE CATTERS!

12:25 am  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

A fine poet is our dear Watson.

...fustercluck...

2:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'playing like a man possessed by a really good footballer' - champagne stuff Mrs Watto.

I had around about 100 people in my apartment for my housewarming and an I kicked almost everyone out at 2:15am to watch the footy. I didn't care if the kegs weren't finished, I told them to take one of them with them to wherever they planned on going.

I almost woke up in Vegas again.

-Tee from Vancouver

3:17 am  
Blogger geraldo at large said...

I thought hatchet was pivotal.

5:02 am  
Blogger Mauricio said...

Hello friend, you blog is very good and lots of sports information, is interesante.Saludos Rugby.

5:54 am  
Anonymous BTO said...

Captain. Cafe Oz in Paris shows all the Afl finals live.Go Cats!

9:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to score tickets in the ballot, however they're 2 rows back, behind the goals at city end. Some people like sitting this close whereas I hate it! Was wondering if anyone wants to swap with my 2 tickets?? I'm happy to sit as far back on the op level as possible!!

go cats!!

-Laura


la.hall@hotmail.com

6:22 pm  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

Congrats to Gazza for finally putting some respectability back in the Chas.

How the fuck did Adam "Training Day" Goodes get 3 votes in the Sydney vs. Geelong game, when the Cats whacked them to the tune of 50 points? He must drink umpire jizz like I drink Vodka!

Can't wait for the bleating of the Pies supporters (we woz robbed!) tomorrow. Dane Swann is a turd sandwich with not much bread!

Basso feel free to give Charlotte a friendly clip on the back of the head (with a phone book) when you see her in the office tomorrow.

Or a pillow and a revolver, whichever is the easiest....

I am a bit dissapointed that none of the Geelong WAGs wore their new asshats, could they are saving them for the Spring Racing Carnival?

...fustercluck...

12:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, Fustercluck, Chas's respectability hit such a low in 2008 I thought Travis Cloke was a genuine contender this year!

7:06 am  
Anonymous Jobe will never will win a Brownlow! said...

Great to see Gazza get what he deserves but what's with the media claiming Tim Watson's criticism was motivation?

Since when does anyone take notice of what that douche says?

7:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh penis, how i love thee, let me count the ways:
A. Foreskin- 1 vote
A. Shaft- 2 votes
A. Large helmet- 3 votes

Gary Jr is somewhat like my pee pee. Strong around the middle, gets back in defense when he needs to and finds the open hole provided by Tomahawk at every opportunity. mmm big Tom Hawkins.
Yummy doodle man.

It was a pleasure to see my peni...i mean, Gary Ablett Jnr, win the Brownlow Award. and now it would be wonderful to see him fistf*** Rievoldt in the most unpleasent of places, the MCG.
I remember when Rievoldt came over to my place and we shared some wine and herpes, it was special. Always brings a tear to my eye and a scab to my upper lip when i think of him.

Anyway, we will win this bastard or i don't loves me penis!
GO CATS!!

Gra Gra B

3:51 pm  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

Best of luck BLLL buddies, may your dreams (and mine) come true at the rainy, windy MCG in the next few hours.

If the Cats play like they can they are an irresistable force and StKilda won't stop them.

Have Faith

GO CATS

Chappy for the Norm
Cats by 27
Fustercluck in rehab on Sunday

...fustercluck...

2:30 pm  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

Fucking McBurney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Champions!!!!!!!!!!

6:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I have lost my voice, I can still type it...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bomber you are a marvel.

I am so proud of the boys. Order is restored.

I don't know what else to say... I lost my voice. I am wildy hungover, I won in excess of $400 on the Norm Smith Medal, the umpiring was close to as shit as I've seen it in the first half.

-Tee from Vancouver on cloud fucking 9

5:44 am  
Anonymous fustercluck said...

My head hurts but this really has made me feel better:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-wall-of-tears/story-e6frf8w6-1225780019696


And to all the real snipers, the halfwit brown and gold wearing turds that I have had to listen to and read about for 12 months, I say this:
The Hawks are flukes, lucky to win one flag, are physically and mentally weak and appear to lack the courage to push through the pain barrier. The Cats were just as injured as Hawthorn this year, you weak feathered bastards used temporary misfortune to worm your way out of any responsibility to mount a credible premiership defence, aided by a sympathetic media. Well played, nine wins is a deserved return for your efforts.

Now I need a Berocca (and a Liver donor).

...fustercluck...

3:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home