Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sooner, or, Later

I guess I had to write this sooner or later. I just didn't know where to start or what to say. Or if I wanted to say anything at all.

I guess the thing that kills me the most isn't necessarily the losing in and of itself.

As John Harms said in The Age after the game, this Grand Final "offered the Geelong Football Club, and especially us supporters, the best opportunity for nearly 50 years to rid ourselves of that debilitating notion that things happen to us."

It had that feel about it, didn't it? That Geelong lost the game more than Hawthorn won it. That all the little things went right for Geelong but the big things didn’t happen at all. You got the feeling that, during that second quarter, if someone could take a big grab, or break a tackle, or just kick truly, that they might have been away.

Didn’t happen.

From late in the first term to about the middle of the third, Geelong scored 3 goals, 19 behinds.

Can we use the dreaded c-word? Can anything else explain missing a goal from that close, or not hand-balling to a team-mate 30m in the clear in the goal square?

It wasn’t an extraordinary performance by Hawthorn. In fact, Geelong controlled most of the play: 15 more clearances, 20 more inside 50s, Buddy 2 goals, Mitchell 13 touches. The game went exactly as many had gone for the Cats during the past two seasons: An even start, Geelong wrestling away the ball and control, and eventually overwhelming the opposition, and the scoreboard, with weight of possession and shots on goal.

Only one of those things didn’t happen.

Is it worth questioning team selection? (Stokes, Varcoe / Gamble, Wojcinski)

Is it worth whinging about team tactics? (the Hodge match-up, SJ too far up the ground)

No.

There is no such thing as ‘should have’ when it comes to sport.

Geelong had their chances. And they missed too many goals. That’s really all there is to it. And credit to Hawthorn. They took their chances (18.7, 12 goals from 40+ metres) and they made Geelong’s more difficult.

Still, I don’t think I’ll ever get over that one. I’m not going to watch it again, probably ever. I don’t even want to think about it. So, where does that leave us?

It leaves us empty.

Empty but looking forward.

It's the only place we can look.

There is hope there, comfort in the fact that premiership currency, won or lost, holds value for only one year.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK then, I'll say it:

Choke.

Most dominant team ever to not win a premiership.

Breaks my fucking heart.

6:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

weak as piss geelong beat a very poor port adelaide last year the hand baggers title is still there sucked in hope you make it next year so can whoop you again

8:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be looking into the sport psychologist who is working with the team. He/she must be shit.

I like that dudes comment above I had to read it twice to understand it. By his grammar I'd say he was a Geelong fan but then again..Bogans exist everywhere. Be alert, Be aware, Be safe.

12:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been checking the site every few days in the hope there'd be something there that offered solace. Alas the empty feeling remains. Bloody cats.

Captain - have enjoyed your work all year. Keep it up. Hope to see both you and the cats bigger and better next year.

1:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captain,well put.I was at the G,and ten minutes into the 2nd quarter I had that feeling,that all geelong supporters know so well,that we were going to lose.It starts with a nagging sensation in the pit of your stomach and then depression seems to flow over your whole body.When Mooney missed at the stroke of half-time,that was it.
But,as you have to,we will move on.I see only 2 senarios for the cats in 2009.
1.They regroup,take on all comers and win easily.
2.Infighting and self-pity destabilise the team.Despite some encouraging efforts they finish around 12th.

I know which I think is the most likely option-over to you boys.

7:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for work over the season guys. I too had been checking the site for some sort of solace. Still hurts. Shit!

8:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For mine, it's a strange feeling. The fact that we won last year softens the blow because at least we've got one in the bag. Plus, I console myself by hoping that this'll put a cracker up 'em next year to realise that they can shit on teams all season but there's only one game that counts.

Despite this, it still grates to see the Hawks celebrating. They absolutely stole it, and they know it. They're a good side and they were due a premiership sooner or later, but I don't reckon anyone at Hawthorn genuinely expected to win this year.

What shits me the most, though, is the fact that after being so dominant for so long, and being on the verge of being considered one of the greatest teams of all time, we just can't make that step from being one of the most entertaining teams of all time.

And what does "entertaining" count for?

8:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captain, I can't watch it again either, 2007 I mean, not 2008, at least that fucker from last month will give me some sort of closure.

Problem is we all thought that this side was capable of 2 or 3 flags in a row, and you can't fucking blame us now can you? I mean what have we been watching since that night early last year when we smoked the horrible Tiggers to the tune of 150?

Fact: We dug Hawthorn a grave that last Saturday in September

Sad Fact: only to trip over the shovel and fall ass backwards into the abyss.

So from herein I see 2 possible scenarios: A) The Cats come out breathing fire and make it a mission to right the only thing they did wrong in 2008. Or B) Roll over and finish midfield and not even make the big dance.

So take a glance at your form guides and ask yourselves which is the likely scenario?

So plainly there is only 1 viable option. The players know it, fans know it. If the Cats make a meal of 2009, then they will be remembered as the team that fluked a premiership.

And that's a title I'd much rather Hawthorn have. At least they can be made to earn that trophy.

Whinge: Why so many anonymous posters? It's not like this is a chat room for paedophiles or Al Qaeda affiliated arms dealers.

It would be nice to know who we are talking to, don't ya think?

Questions: Is Shane Watson the Shannon Byrnes of Test cricket?

Will Michael Clarke be skipper by summer's end?

Will Lingy be captain of the Cats by Next October?

Will Richmond start the 2009 season 3-8 resulting in Wallace being rightfully sacked after their mid season review, only to see the Tigers bolt into the finals? Oh fuck I hope so!


...fustercluck...

3:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend to you to look for a site where there will be many articles on a theme interesting you.

2:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home