Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Geelong 2007 AFL Premiers, or, What Now?

I’m speechless. I’ve been trying to write this blog for three days. I’ve been waiting for my thoughts to crystallise, to come up with an interesting angle. No good. I can’t think of anything other than it couldn’t have finished any other way. Not this season. Not this team.

After finishing with the minor premiership, the Rising Star Award, the Brownlow Medal, the VFL premiership and a record 9 All-Australian players, it was as if Port was there only because Geelong needed someone, anyone, to etch onto the ‘Runners-Up’ section of the trophy.

And perhaps I’m still in shock, or perhaps it’s a side effect of the game being over so early, but for me, it’s almost as if one premiership isn’t enough reward for the dominance displayed by The Cats: Instead of finding relief in a Geelong premiership I have merely found the hunger for more. Typical, eh?

Mark Williams said afterwards that the game ‘was boring’. And while I understand that his team was out of the contest very early, it is an interesting choice of words. Perhaps if The Cats had held Port scoreless he would have been more interested. That’s the only other possible way the game, and the season, deserved to finish.

Geelong, 2007 AFL Premiers; alright…

[Note: I will continue to update Big League Little League semi-regularly in the ‘off-season’, especially around the time of such things as the draft, trade week and West Coast Eagle drug overdoses.]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely understand about his choice of words: 'boring'. The first time I ever went to the G, last year to watch the Cats/Pies game, where we got belted by a similar margin, I used the same word to describe the match. It so monotonous to see the Pies kick goal after goal and I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Tee

11:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well batted, captain. raise the bat, bow to the members, adjust the box boon-style, and settle in for a long innings over summer.

5:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home