Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Grand Final Breakdown (Hit me baby, one more time)


This is it. It’s here. And at this point I’m about as shaky as Britney at the MTV awards, so let’s break down the match-ups and see if we can find an edge somewhere.

Ruck
This is the area getting the most press at the moment, with everyone calling for the inclusion of Steven King, but did these people actually watch the VFL? It seems the longer the week goes the better King was in the VFL; Monday he was ok, Tuesday he was good and today he was frickin’ outstanding. By Friday he’ll be taking Bartel’s Brownlow. Stick a fork in King, well, either that or size him up for that Western Bulldogs jersey. There’s no chance Blake gets dropped on the eve of a Grand Final. His confidence would be lower than Maverick’s after Goose’s death. And yes, I have actually watched films made after 1986.

Ottens v Lade
Should be a classic match-up with Ottens in career best form and Lade probably the best tap ruckman going around. I’ll be interested to see how they work around the ground though; with Lade pushing back, Geelong will need to use Ottens going forward.

Blake v Brogan
Let’s remember that there’ll only be one ruckman in the centre at a time, and as long as The Cats keep their rotations similar, Blake will be competitive in the middle against Brogan, who, let’s not forget, has been massively over-rated in this whole debate. Seriously, when did we all start thinking the Grand Final would turn on the performance of Dean fucking Brogan?


Midfield
Port will be missing Michael Wilson, who, although not a superstar, gives them a much needed element of toughness, something the rest of the midfield lacks. Therefore hopefully Chappy gets a run in there and gets himself involved early. The main dangers for Geelong are obvious: The two sets of brothers, Cornes and Burgoyne. However, if we can get past them, we get into their next tier of players (Cassisi, Surjan, Salopek and Boak) whom Geelong’s even midfield rotation should be able to crack.

Ablett v Cassisi
This is how they matched up last time, although there was no Bartel in that one. Cassisi simply isn’t up to it and something tells me that Junior is gonna be in the, ‘I didn’t get the Brownlow but I’ll let you decide who the best player in the comp is’ frame of mind. (By the way, did anyone else’s heart start racing like a coked-up monkey when Simon Black was leading with 6 rounds to go and you took him at 70-1? No? Oh well, never mind…)

Bartel v Kane Cornes
The Brownlow medallist versus the 2nd ugliest Port player. Kane gets called a tagger but led the league is disposals this year. Jimmy likes to push back and help out the defence. Hopefully this doesn’t free Kane up too much, or hopefully someone belts him.

Shaun Burgoyne v Cameron Ling/Corey Enright
I know Ling has been pretty much the best tagger all year, but Enright has a pretty good history in match ups like this. From memory he’s done jobs on Goodes and maybe Judd. Whoever is on him needs to prevent him getting a free run at the stoppages. (I also think it might be worth putting Ling on Kane Cornes, as long as is doesn’t end up in one of those ‘I’m tagging him, you’re tagging me, and I’m just along for the ride’ type of deals.)

Chad Cornes v Joel Corey/Corey Enright
Enright might be the match up for Ports ugliest player, otherwise they might let him and Joel Corey go head-to-head. You can’t tag ‘em all, so maybe look for Joel Corey to find himself free for the Cats and maybe one of the hideous Cornes’ for Port.


Port Forwards v Geelong Defence
The Cats defence has been their strength for years and must not only negate Port’s forwards but show the run that has been so impressive all season. This is why David Wojcinski is so important to the Cats; when he plays well the Cats play well. Hopefully he can get some early touches and build his confidence to carry and take players on.

Tredrea v Harley
These days Warren is reduced to kicking cheap goals and hamming it up to the feral Adelaide crowd, so with ‘Skip’ in good touch, this should allow Scarlett to play another opponent and then ‘zone off’, help out and then run from the back, which he does so well.

Ebert v Scarlett
He’s the Power’s leading goal kicker (56) and Josh Hunt would be suicide. Although a small forward, he does most of his work leading up and marking so Scarlo’s acceleration and reading of the play will help, and if it comes in high, he can leave Ebert to spoil. Ebert is the danger man.

Westoff v Milburn
Dasher will make the youngster, who is untested on the big stage, work both ways.

Motlop v Enright
This joker is getting WAY too much press for kicking some cheap goals against a below-par Kangaroos team. Let’s see how he performs under actual pressure. Other options are Wojcinski or Mackie, with whoever’s left to share ex-Richmond corpse David Rodan.


Geelong Forwards v Port Defence
This is where the Cats can really get on top. Last week Geelong had almost 20 more inside 50’s than Collingwood and five more scoring shots. If we can get the same bulk of numbers, the Port defence may buckle.

Nathan Ablett v Wakelin
Which ever Wakelin brother it is, he’s past it. My feeling is that he’ll play on Nablett, not Mooney. Nate-Dogg really needs to glove a few to take the pressure off Mooney and Steve Johnson, nothing crazy, but 2 or 3 goals would be nice.

Mooney v Thurstans
Thurstans is just plain rubbish, but Williams will give him first crack at Mooney before the inevitable Wakelin-switch. Either way, Mooney will be facing an inferior opponent and needs to take advantage early. He’s been quiet-ish the past couple of weeks but did kick a couple of big goals last week. Hopefully he has a big game, or at the very least, belts one of the Cornes’.

Steve Johnson v Logan, Chaplin and Pettigrew
I’m sold on Dog Johnson. He’s a gamer. He’ll go through a few opponents on his way to the Norm Smith. You heard it here first.

That leaves Chapman, Kelly and Stokes as the small forwards on whoever’s left. Chapman stands out as a potential match-up problem and will be no doubt looking to make up for a quiet game against Collingwood, or at the very least, belts one of the Cornes’.


The Tip
Port gave up plenty of goals this season so expect their ruckman to be pushing hard into defence. Also, last time these two teams met Port essentially flooded the middle of the ground, forcing the Cats to the wings. The wider MCG will prove tougher to bottle up than KP but the Cats need to be smarter going forward and use Ottens on the way out. Grand Finals are traditionally physical affairs and The Cats have the harder bodies and harder minds. There’s also the small matter of a Brownlow medallist who didn’t play last time. Cats by 40 points… and one of the Cornes’ to get belted.


*To all Big Leaguers, leave a comment and let us know what you’re thinking and how you’re feeling. Me? I’m drained, I’m nervous, I’m confident, I’m terrified and I’ve got nothing else to say but, Go Cats!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mate, relax, we've got this mob covered.

all through the 90s we played teams who turned up on the day with a big edge: hawthorn in 89 were almost the team of the century, and at the tail-end of a dominant era. in 92 and 94 we played a bunch of 'roid cheats, and in 95 we played a team that put in the most dominant season in history up to that point in time. this year, who have we got? a team that got to play north fucking melbourne in a prelim at home, a crumbing forward with a head so unwieldly over-sized that he can't surely be expected to cope with the pressure of a grand final and lug that 25kg monster around all day, and a captain that would struggle to get a game at, well, north melbourne.

relax, murder a few tins on friday night, ease into it on saturday morning, and get ready to run nude down moorabool street just after 5pm.

GO THOSE CATS!!!!

9:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All week I have been fine but after hearing King is playing im as nervouse as a kid at Michael Jacksons house. Im sure its due to the fact I saw us lose in 89,92,94 and 95. I think your right about Dog Johnson for the Norm Smith he is paying $15 on sportsbet as is Chapman im having $20 on each.

Port lack muscle over the ground and between the ears. We played in Grand Final pressure last week so we have an advantage. The guts are starting to churn but nothing some JD won't fix. Cats to win by 6 goals.
J-Diddy

10:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm putting some money on Dog Johnson, Paul Chapman, James Kelly and Cameron Mooney for Norm Smith.

I couldn't agree more with you about Dean Brogan. He was horrible against West Coast. Every time he was in the middle, West Coast came back. I don't understand whats with people saying its the best ruck combination in the comp. What about Sydney?

I'm confident and not nervous yet, but i'm sure I won't sleep much on Friday night.

-Tee from Perth

10:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldnt agree more with your last comment about being drained, nervous, and terrified! I am comletely gone. I just want it to be over. Why I commited to drive 9 hours to KP from the Barrossa Valley to watch the game, is anybodys guess. They will have to carry me out of there on a stratcher win or lose!
Go Cats

1:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have put it perfectly in that I too am drained, nervous, confident, and terrified but am still getting on the 8:15 flight from Sydney in the morning to Melbourne to prepare for Saturday.

I think a few beers might be in order Friday arvo (but not too many) if you and your brother are around?

Thinking of heading up the highway early, got the seats and its in the Standard Reserve Seating which covers the back rows behind the scoreboard for the most part and a couple of seats in the section smack bang in front of the goals that i managed to get!

http://www.mcg.org.au/content/document/00000725-src.pdf

Seats are in section M33, very nice. I think I might just keep the footy when Nathan Ablett kicks one in the last quarter to seal his grasp Norm Smith medal, the kid is ready to explode out there.

2:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, my feelings are a mixture of nervous excitement and devastation that I couldn't get to the G.
How did you non-Victorians manage to score tickets? The best I could find was going to cost me $1,000, not including flights or accommodation! I’ve been an interstate member for over 15 years and as such was aware I had no access to GF tickets, so no surprises there, but that doesn't quell the disappointment.
Enjoy the day fellas, I'll be with a room full of mad Catters at the Hyde Park Hotel in Perth watching the Class of 2007 exorcise the ghosts of Finals past.

GO CATS!!!!!!!

-Basso Divor

2:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm feeling all of those emotions Captain. In fact, in the words of Ron "Anchorman" Burgundy, I'm in a glass case of emotion!

I probably won't be able to confirm the vicious rumour that The Captain will be at The Corner post-GF, but maybe we might see each other at 1/2 seeing I'll be standing on Saturday, I just have no idea where. Is Mrs Watson going?

JB (having diffculty logging on)

12:22 am  
Blogger Chris Jackson said...

I'm a fkn mess right now, I'm absolutely terrified about this game - and I'm not sure if I'll launch myself into the Thames before, during or after the game - anything is possible. I really think I need to sit the next couple of plays out!

I just hope that the artist-formerly-known-as-Warren-Tredrea and his band of misfits have a barry crocker and we get up by 15 goals - I don't want a close game, just a victory, is that too much to ask?!?!

GO THOSE FKN CATTERS!!!

10:39 am  
Blogger the captain said...

I love the passion, Big Leaguers, and am thankful no-one has brought up my "there's-no-way-Blake-gets-dropped" comment. It's good to remember that 40% of the time, I'm right every time.

Mrs Watson has let me know that he's been reading from the USA and will be watching the game live in NY city. Expect a photo of an overwhelmed, teary-eyed, Mrs W celebrating by drinking through the American morning to emerge in the coming days.

GET UP CATS!!!

10:55 am  
Blogger gdbellau said...

Im feeling the nerves Captain... With the first few floods of Port supporters trickling in for the Friday street parade you can feel Melbourne changing as footy fever grips the city..

I think I will need a few $2 Pots tonight to settle the nerves... and banter a few random GO CATS calls throughout the night..

Great blog all year Captain.

GO CATS!!

11:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cats will be fine after Mark Wilson rocks them out with some electrifying bass before the game. Friday night is a no go but maybe Saturday I'll be up for a few beers, head into town and dodge fights. Win or loose, gtown will be in riot.

2:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time has come - let's stand up Geelong... GO CATS!!

8:14 am  
Blogger geraldo at large said...

Captain, you picked it, Steve Johnson for Norm Smith. What a frickin start to the match that guy had. He broke the game open and that's why he won the medal. It could have easily gone to Cam Mooney. He took some huge grabs and kicked some huge goals early on.

Farkin great blog all year Captain. I really appreciate the effort you put in. Can't wait for the post grand final review. Savor it.

I will see you in Oz in the near future for a night of replays and Melbourne bitters.

8:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
You little fucking beauties!!!
After giving up all hope of getting to the game, I had a call from a fellow Cats' supporter at 4:00PM Friday to say he had been offered a couple of GF tix that an AFL player was scalping. Flights were booked and I left with this bloke (whom I'd never previously met) on the midnight flight.
We were covertly delivered the tickets at midday and made our way to the G for what was an absolute ripper of a game... the stuff that dreams are made of. The tickets weren't cheap; 150% above the premium seating price, about ten rows back behind the goals next to the feral Power cheer squad, but worth every cent! The purchase was handsomely offset thanks to the Captain's heads up re a Stevie Johnson Norm Smith medal.
We flew back to Perth at 8:30 and four and a half hours later I was celebrating with mates.
What a day!
Thanks to the Captain for a stellar season. I really appreciate the time and effort taken to produce this blog, chock full of observation and insight liberally peppered with humour. I look forward to the Grand Final and season wrap before he goes into the summer hiatus.
Well it's 9:30AM Sunday morning, my beer's empty and needs replacing and I reckon I might watch a video of the game .....again!

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Basso Divor

11:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home