Sunday, July 15, 2007

One Right Up The Bracket

At precisely 11:57 I step off at Richmond station, for once perfectly on time, to meet Bell at Midday and guide him to the Old London Tavern where we’ll meet the rest of the crew: Odey, Matt, Matt’s old man, Roger and Matt’s sister’s boyfriend also named Matt, but I’ll call him Matthew. (Confusing, I know, but bear with me.)

Just as I’m wondering where Bell is he calls me, to let me know he’s gonna be late – closer to 12:30 he reckons. Drinking alone, I think about the game. The Cats are gonna drop one soon enough, but not today, I can feel it. Plus, during the week Matt and I made a small wager and I need that money for beer.

Eventually everyone arrives and we begin the very serious business of drinking and ribbing Matt, a Collingwood supporter. Just for the record, Roger and Matthew are Essendon supporters, the rest of us are Cats fans. Odey rocks up late, nursing a hangover from the night before but immediately makes up for it with a Ben Cousins joke about him icing his hamstring and then his face. Meanwhile Matt is downing pints at a rate of knots even though he shares a hangover from the same big Friday night with Odey. He’s more animal than man.

I speak to Mrs. Watson and he’s around the corner at the Cricketers Arms, a pub that, due to its vicinity to the MCG, manages to cram around 50 000 people into the worlds smallest bar on game days. We agree to meet up for a drink after the game, preferably not at the Cricketers Arms. We squeeze in one last pint and head off at 1:50 for the G. Some bloke talking with his mates is telling a story about the one time he went to Geelong and drank at the Barwon Club before taking a piss on the Kardinia Park wall. That’s sacrilege, I say, how would you feel if I came to Collingwood, shot heroin and then vomited on Victoria Park? You’d fit right in, he says. Hats off, sir.

We find our seats and Matt sits down just long enough to ask whose shout it is. Thanks for volunteering, Matty. We’re sitting in the 2nd tier of the Olympic stand, row N: Forward pocket, Punt road end. Congratulations come from all round to Bell who organized the tickets weeks ago. I glance around the G and can hardly see an empty seat – to quote Travis from Big Brother, bloody hell. I now look a little closer to home, to see who’s around us: Cats fans to the left and right but a couple of Collingwood fans in front and some behind us who I don’t see but can hear. Make ‘em pay Collingwood, is one blokes catch phrase, which we quickly adopt after each Geelong goal. Ahh, nothing like pissing off total strangers. And speaking of pissing off strangers, some kid in front of us is constantly banging those inflatable clapper sticks. Odey leans over to me, that won’t get annoying at all, he says.

There is a feeling, an electricity and tension in the air that is released when the opening siren sounds. We’re under way and the Pies kick two quick goals thanks to Travis Cloke, the first player to beat Matthew Egan this season, and then, a Mrs. Watson’s favourite, Paul Medhurst. Matt is in full voice, laughing and stirring us up. You’ll keep, I say, and begin a running tally of Anthony Rocca’s dropped marks.

Ling dobs the Cats first one, Mooney snaps a second, Matthew Stokes snags the third and then, right in front of us, Boris Enright picks off a Collingwood pass and puts it back over the goal umpires head. I know then that the Cats would be ok.

Collingwood are tough, however, and they stick at it, keeping close enough all day in a tight contest. Wojcinski bounces one over the head of Marty Clarke. Stupid Irishman. Alan Didak is still copping it from the crowd, and I join in, yelling out, hey Didak, need a ride home? Even the Collingwood fans in front liked that one. The unfortunately named Tyson Goldsack gets the ball as Matty and I both smirk, money-bags, we say to each other as Bell jokes about trying to convincing a drunken Roger that it’s his round again.

At half-time I queue for the pissoir and chat to some nice old bloke whom I call sir. Turns out he’s Corey Enright’s dad. He’s having a good game, I say, and a good season. At the bar I bump into Chandles, a bloke I went to school with, and his younger brother. Good times.

The second half goes by in a blur thanks to consuming enough alcohol to tranquilize a wild pig, but there are vague memories of Dog Johnson getting amongst the goals, Scarlett running out of defence, Harley taking an important mark, more umpiring injustices and vague memories of doing a Ted Whitten impersonation and a bit of ‘stick it right up em’ work at the final siren – yes, I’m a dickhead.

I never caught up with Mrs. W, but Matt paid up in liquid currency, and then some. And at ten wins in a row we were quite content to drink to the best team in the league.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This... is dizzy stuff

9:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KEEP A BLOODY LID ON IT MATE!
We are still a mathematical chance to miss the finals.

Spare a thought for us in the west, game of the year (?), 85.5k at the G and we have West Coast Handbaggers V Port on free to air and foxtel. What the hell am I paying for cable TV for?

I got an email from the Perth Cats president (who's name is actually G. Long) about 20 minutes before the game saying that the Pies supporters club had hooked up some kind of dodgy broadcast via Northern Territory television of the game live.

Needless to say I wasn't going to head out to what is probably the dodgiest pub in Perth even before the Collingwood supporters descend on the place. Although i've never been there, i'm told that even the bikies look uncomfortable in there - probably the perfect place for a shrine to Alan Didak and the Perth Magpies supporters club)

I turn my phone and computer off and lock myself in the house (to avoid getting the score) and sit through bits and pieces of football whilst scared shitless that Glen Jakovich is going to say something about the magnificent Pies win.

Eventually paranoia sets in and I plough through a few hours of Gauntlett to kill time. At 8PM the Cats game starts. Thats right... 8pm. Well done channel 7 and the AFL, well done.

-Tee

1:56 pm  
Blogger mrs. watson said...

Arrepentido nosotros no alcanzamos el juego del poste, El Capitano. Mi fuerza armada de ventiladores de Gatos me dirige a la ciudad cuando bebo unas pocas ollas e inhalé un parmigiana de pollo antes de agarrar la espalda de Varcoe a la G-GRIETA. Anti punto culminante realmente.

2:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have been there Tee, it was sweet. I ran the gauntlet and lobbed at the Mighty Q' where Cats' supporter numbers matched up pretty well on Pies' supporters. When they started quietly drifting out of the pub at the 25 minute mark of the final quarter, cowed and beaten....it was beautiful! Sure the majority of Pies' supporters are feral and stupid, (one idiot and his mates got to their feet to loudly abuse and gesture at Mooney every time he appeared on screen - Clever huh?), but as we both know, there are only two teams we in the west enjoy beating more than Collingwood.
Bought my tix for the round 17 Dockers/Cats clash this morning. Don't reckon I'll have Monday-itis at work on the 30th.
PS Nice blog Captain.
PPS Shit work Fox-footy and Channel 10!
- Basso Divor

6:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Basso Divor -
Yeah, i've got my tickets. We're sitting with the Geelong cheer squad.

Are you coming to the pre-game function? visit www.perthcats.org

-Tee

6:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs Watson:

¿puede usted dirigirme por favor a la estación de tren?

Cheers

3:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

La sra. Watson mete con frecuencia chorizos fumado en el ano que lo causa que suelte involuntariamente español roto.

5:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, whatever turns him on....

Now on to more mundane matters, can anyone explain why Josh Hunt is being allowed to turn the hardest back 6 in the league into the hardest-back-5-plus-one-huge-bloke-who's-a-bit-gun-shy-in-the-league?

Now don't get me wrong, I love him like a brother and all, but if we want someone to duck their heads and put an arm into a contest we've already got Varcoe, and at least he's quick and can tackle.

11:14 am  
Blogger geraldo at large said...

Hats off Captain. It is moments like this that I miss being home, but with your post I feel like I was there!

I phoned The Captain and Crew just after the win (I listened to the game over the internet from LA) and I wasn't disappointed, they were all royally shitfaced :)

11:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the post, Captain. I was up in the top deck of the Southern Stand behind the goals. Didn't I love walking past the Lexus Centre pumping my right fist in an upward manner afterwards?! Where was Joffa's jacket? The stupid fool!

JB aka Tickets

11:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home